Friday 25 January 2013

BT Nightmare

It would be nice to think that I'd been missed. My phone and internet connection were cut off on January 3rd and I'm still waiting for reconnection, hence limited digital communication. I'm sending this from my daughter's computer. It appeared to be a simple case of replacing a telegraph pole in our lane but it has developed into a hideous standoff shrouded in a smokescreen of lies and obfuscation. I've now lost the plot and gone to the press and the top men in BT.
Four different families in our hamlet are also cut off. It certainly forcefully reminds me of how dependent we have all become on the internet and how it should be treated now like water or electricty as an essential service.
As a writer it's interesting how the cut off has affected families in different ways. The old gentleman two doors down  is 86, lives alone, has diabetes and angina and depends on his phone for his medical safety and contacting friends and family. He can't work a mobile. At the other end of the scale a younger family have a law gradute son who is applying for jobs-without the internet? In my own case with the agreement of the publisher I've had to pospone the launch of my second ebook, The Glorious Twelfth, because I can't support it with my marketing plan without internet (more about that soon).As well as that I am finding myself totally absorbed in a David versus Goliath struggle.
At least from yesterday I now have a human from BT in the UK taking an interest in the problem, rather than dealing with polite but ineffective Indians in a call centre. The villain seems to be Openreach, the BT subsidiary that maintains the telephone infrastructure for all user companies in the UK. It's a monopoly of course so don't expect tea and sympathy.
Friends are suggesting that I write a book about it. Is that the silver lining?


The Stuart Agenda by Alan Calder published by Willow Moon. eBook and paperback from all Amazon sites. Reviews at www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GNI

No comments:

Post a Comment